Don’t be this guy!

tinman454

We want freedom
Reaction score
So.. get a call at 6;30 this morning showed up to this just looked at my guy shook my head and was thankful nothing serious happened. CHECK YOUR TRAILER HITCH! Have a good weekend.

C76765C4-782E-478E-A43D-45C632904629.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So.. get a call at 6;30 this morning showed up to this just looked at my guy shook my head and was thankful nothing serious happened. CHECK YOUR TRAILER HITCH! Have a good weeken.View attachment 236

Let me guess, he hooked up the chains, hooked up the brake lights, but never put the pin in to the hitch? :LOL:

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ouch! I’m sure we’ve all forgotten to hook up something with a trailer. Especially in a hurry. The easiest thing to forget (or not check) is the light hook up.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
The worst thing I hate is towing other peoples stuff and before going have to fix or replace something to make it safe. A lot of it is mostly to do with attitude... "were only going across town" well that's all it takes.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The worst thing I hate is towing other peoples stuff and before going have to fix or replace something to make it safe. A lot of it is mostly to do with attitude... "were only going across town" well that's all it takes.
No doubt! Hate that feeling of the possibility something breaking or falling out. Never fails for me when I’m moving stuff, something ends up scratched or damaged. And I always use the line “that’s not going anywhere!”

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am super anal when i tow. Tripe check everything. Including all lights. I guess i got that way towing an 8000lb 34' travel trailer.
Which is the only way to go, but i get stupid by not going through the entire inspection because I'm ready to get to on the road. Plus its usually 115+ degrees here (Az) when I would use a trailer because of equipment being moved from one golf course to another and the only time works gets done is in the summer! It's pretty brutal

OP
OP
tinman454

tinman454

We want freedom
Reaction score
wrong size ball?
No this was simply hooking up a trailer at oh dark 30 done it a hundred times before but this time it obviously wasn’t fully clipped on or the pin on the hitch latch wasn’t put in all my shit is tight and right. Point is no matter how many times you did this make sure it’s done right or this is the best thing that can happen. You can imagine the worst thing. one thing I have learned in 52 years is the best people can always have an accident. Stay thirsty and safe my friends.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No this was simply hooking up a trailer at oh dark 30 done it a hundred times before but this time it obviously wasn’t fully clipped on or the pin on the hitch latch wasn’t put in all my shit is tight and right. Point is no matter how many times you did this make sure it’s done right or this is the best thing that can happen. You can imagine the worst thing. one thing I have learned in 52 years is the best people can always have an accident. Stay thirsty and safe my friends.

Totally been there. I remember back when I was hauling a bunch, that I missed latching down the trailer on to the ball, drove several miles and realized it wasn't latched till I got to where I was going. Lucky, there was enough weight to keep it on the ball and never popped up. Very easy to forget.

Trailmaker

Reaction score
So.. get a call at 6;30 this morning showed up to this just looked at my guy shook my head and was thankful nothing serious happened. CHECK YOUR TRAILER HITCH! Have a good weekend.

View attachment 236
🤦‍♂️ At least he hooked up the safety chains… my 13 year old all ways reminds me of the things he did right when he is in trouble for what he did wrong. Haha

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Hey, that's what safety chains are for. He did okay in my book. Anytime you make it to the job site with the trailer is a good day. I have a distant cousin that made it to the log woods one day and realized he'd lost his log trailer somewhere on the way! They found it a few days later when the water level went down in a large creek that went under the highway. o_O

23203737_2.jpg

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’d be so pissed too!

Attachments

• IMG_1621.mp4
    674.8 KB

MO VietVet

Reaction score
Just this last July 4th we had a party at my American Legion. The bartender and her husband decided to bring their 5th wheel to the post to spend the night in instead of driving home. He backed in to where they would stay, got out and pulled the pin/handle on the 5th wheel hitch, got distracted and did not set down the stands at the front and pulled out and you can guess what happened next. Nose dived into the bed. No damage but had to call a tow truck to lift and set the stands. Lots of stuff inside the trailer went flying but nothing broke. The only thing damaged was the husband's dignity. He got lucky indeed.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just this last July 4th we had a party at my American Legion. The bartender and her husband decided to bring their 5th wheel to the post to spend the night in instead of driving home. He backed in to where they would stay, got out and pulled the pin/handle on the 5th wheel hitch, got distracted and did not set down the stands at the front and pulled out and you can guess what happened next. Nose dived into the grass. No damage but had to call a tow truck to lift and set the stands. Lots of stuff inside the trailer went flying but nothing broke. The only thing damaged was the husband's dignity. He got lucky indeed.
Lol. I'm sure we have all been there on forgetting something to attach or apply. Drove across 3 states we a gooseneck trailer forgetting to plug the lighting attachment. Nothing compared to this guys bomb, but it can be so easy to get distracted!

quietpeen

Reaction score
hopefully everybody learns from their mistakes. I have a 5x8 utility trailer that I was using on my jeep. I forgot to push the lever down to latch onto the ball ONCE and when I realized that I forgot that was right when I hit a bump in the road. Safety chains did their job and because my jeep was lifted no damage done there. Trailer was empty so I was able to easily lift it up onto the ball, lock it in place and be on my way. I have multiple times forgot to plug in the harness for blinkers and brake lights though.

Plankton

Reaction score
I forgot about the ball being in while walking around the back of my truck once.

Just once. I'll never make that mistake again. I think I chipped a bone. Sure felt like it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaXiong