Gorillas with impact wrenches.

grouch

Reaction score
I bought a '96 Ram 1500 a few months back. Evidently the shop that worked on it had Magilla Gorilla working and he liked to use impact wrenches. To work on the brakes I had to use a 5 foot cheater pipe and breaker bar to break 19 of the lug nuts loose so my impact could get them off. The one exception was a nut that shattered several sockets and extraction tools until I finally cut the stud and nut off. The threads were warped on the nuts so they had to be replaced. I still have a jerk to the left when I brake so I'm going to replace the ball joints. The lug nuts were nothing compared to the axle nuts. I got a 43MM impact socket and tried everything I could to get them off. Yes, a 1 11/16 socket will normally work but it has a little slop. The 43MM fits like a glove. When you have a jackstand for a brace and a 9 foot section of driveshaft for a cheater pipe and are jumping on it, you don't want slop.

I finally decided to let a shop break it loose. Most wouldn't do it but I found one. His 1/2 and 3/4 drive impact wrenches just bounced like my tools did. However, they dug out their 1 inch impact for older REALLY heavy equipment and hit it with that. A couple of shattered sockets, but about 20 seconds of hammering and the nuts came off. I don't trust the thread on the nuts so new ones are waiting for the front end rebuild.

I mentioned this in another forum and someone posted this.

Tool progression.jpg

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bought a '96 Ram 1500 a few months back. Evidently the shop that worked on it had Magilla Gorilla working and he liked to use impact wrenches. To work on the brakes I had to use a 5 foot cheater pipe and breaker bar to break 19 of the lug nuts loose so my impact could get them off. The one exception was a nut that shattered several sockets and extraction tools until I finally cut the stud and nut off. The threads were warped on the nuts so they had to be replaced. I still have a jerk to the left when I brake so I'm going to replace the ball joints. The lug nuts were nothing compared to the axle nuts. I got a 43MM impact socket and tried everything I could to get them off. Yes, a 1 11/16 socket will normally work but it has a little slop. The 43MM fits like a glove. When you have a jackstand for a brace and a 9 foot section of driveshaft for a cheater pipe and are jumping on it, you don't want slop.

I finally decided to let a shop break it loose. Most wouldn't do it but I found one. His 1/2 and 3/4 drive impact wrenches just bounced like my tools did. However, they dug out their 1 inch impact for older REALLY heavy equipment and hit it with that. A couple of shattered sockets, but about 20 seconds of hammering and the nuts came off. I don't trust the thread on the nuts so new ones are waiting for the front end rebuild.

I mentioned this in another forum and someone posted this.

View attachment 1164

Ha ha. So you were saying the shop that worked on it before you bought it caused the bolt issue?

MO VietVet

Reaction score
I saw this on another forum and already posted this pic in the "entertain me" section. Sorry for the steal.

drakon543

Reaction score
ive dealt with that alot honestly i left the auto industry a long time ago but i still do small stuff on the side to help people out. just had a 17 colorado brought to me a previous shop wallered out those damn lug nut caps gm loves so much. snapon impact sockets and a maul with my giant breaker bar made short work of it.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
ive dealt with that alot honestly i left the auto industry a long time ago but i still do small stuff on the side to help people out. just had a 17 colorado brought to me a previous shop wallered out those damn lug nut caps gm loves so much. snapon impact sockets and a maul with my giant breaker bar made short work of it.
I hate those freaking lug nuts.. ended up changing them out for aftermarket.. so now we have an extra socket to use when rotating tires.:rolleyes:

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OOOooooofff I still have the stupid stock lugnuts on my truck. I hate the damn things but the covers haven't come off my nuts yet...

Giggity

gat0r

Reaction score
wait...
so we're not supposed to use the max of 700 to 1000 ft-lb of torque on the air impact?

LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErnieT