The Ghost of Ukraine

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Russians seem to have started believing their own stories and it's biting them on the butt.

This entire situation has been extremely confusing and hard to see who is in the wrong. Just IMO

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
I talked to some folks I knew back in the day and found out why Ukraine is doing so much damage to the Russian Air Force. The senior Air Force officers for Ukraine were trained by the Soviet Union. They are using a lot of the same equipment on the ground and while their aircraft are older models, compared to state of the art Russian craft, they are more flexible and have kept it in better condition.

The Russian pilots are trained by the "manual" and MUST fly according to it. The Ukrainian pilots trained according to Soviet tactics, which are the basis for the "Manual" but have freedom of action. Since they know the Russian aircraft capabilities, they can slip into a weak spot.

In short, the Ukrainians are professionals, the Russians are just going through the motions and trying to maintain status, while restrained by their superiors.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very interesting indeed. But definitely makes sense on why Ukraine is holding their own.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
The Ghost of Kiev, also known as the Ghost of Ukraine has been killed. Major Stepan Tarabalka was killed in a dog fight against massive Russian forces. This occurred on March 13. He is reported to have destroyed 40 Russian aircraft. Not all were fighters, but he did destroy many of those. He leaves a wife and 8 year old son.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
The Ghost of Kiev, also known as the Ghost of Ukraine has been killed. Major Stepan Tarabalka was killed in a dog fight against massive Russian forces. This occurred on March 13. He is reported to have destroyed 40 Russian aircraft. Not all were fighters, but he did destroy many of those. He leaves a wife and 8 year old son.

It seems when I tried to make sure about something, I missed a beat. Parts of the story about the "Ghost of Ukraine" were true but scattered around different pilots.

The "Ghost" as such, is a myth. Even though I tried to make sure of it, I goofed on this one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron