TRX vs Rivan R1T

Plankton

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever watched a race where the vehicle with the most horsepower loses.

Startled Raccoon... lol

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looking at the R1T, when it was first annouced years ago, I though the truck would be the same size as an normal full size truck. Seeing it now next to the TRX(yeah I know, the TRX has a wider body stance then most normal full size trucks), the Rivian looks more like a compacted truck like the Colorado. Not a fan of the look really. Now the Ford Lightning does look like a real truck. ;)

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have not looked into the R1T at all but isn’t that a fully electric truck?

Yes. It was the first one ever announced. It was shown at a show several years ago. Years before the cyber truck was debut. They have had issues after issues and recently one of their big shots just quit. The lightning will bet them out the gate in production and Ford only debut it a year ago.

MO VietVet

Reaction score
I have never driven an electric vehicle but do have an electric golf cart for my storage facility.

quietpeen

Reaction score
I’m not surprised that the electric truck won. More HP and even a heck of a lot more torque.

MO VietVet

Reaction score
Those electric motors are instant on and the lag is just the system getting that weight to move and the drag from rolling on the ground and drag thru the air....etc. If I remember right?

Trailmaker

Reaction score
It was only 1-1/2 cars faster…
Maybe lighter tires and a small pulley on the blower will even it out.

I watch that truck on the “only way up” series a year ago, featuring a prototype electric Harley going from Brazil to California…
Too bad it has taken them so long to work out the kinks. It had like a 600 mile range and can charge while in tow.

RaptorTillNow

Reaction score
Just wait till the grid goes down and there's no plug in available... Electric vehicles are still a Democrat utopia pipe dream for the masses until they figure this whole thing out. Until then I'll take 702hp 650tq... and an exhaust note that's worth dying for over this quiet battery powered Energizer Bunny POS..

But I'm old, that makes me cranky, but it also makes me wise... Don't believe the BS being fed to you... and don't let the AOC crowd shut down the oil pipeline until the the electric is fully set up... That might happen by 2050 or so...🤣🤣🤣

grouch

Reaction score
An electric motor has instant torque and its torque is not determined by rpms like a gasoline or diesel engine is. That was the draw up to 100 years ago when steam and electric were more popular. Steam fell out of favor because it was so mechanically intensive. Henry Fords wife had a Baker Electric for years as she preferred it to gasoline. Gasoline didn't start getting popular until Kettering designed the electric starting system in 1914 we still use today. By the mid 1920's, gasoline stations became very ubiquitous. Electric cars lost popularity for the same reason they aren't viable today. Lack of range.

About 3 weeks ago, I watched a special on a CAA rally. (Charge Across America) Several electric vehicles drove across the country with a maximum range of about 300 or so hours. It showed a LOT of issues and didn't touch on one major one. There was one car that ran out of charge and a truck with a HUGE diesel generator has to come and charge it. There were charge points that either wouldn't take payment, didn't fit the charge port or just didn't work. One place had 8 charge points. All were blocked by Teslas using them for free parking. This was supposed to show how good electric cars are but all it did was convince me that maybe hybrids are viable, electric isn't.

When I visit the kid, I drive straight through. Right at 700 miles. Fuel stops run about 20 minutes to fill, use the bathroom, get snacks and such. Maybe one long stop for dinner enroute.

Lastly, and the biggest killer for electric vehicles in my opinion is our power grid. We have good power where I live but Kalifonia has rolling brown outs at times. Texas had people actually die last year from a weak power supply grid. What's going to happen in Kalifonia when every body HAS to have an electric vehicle and get home from work and plug their cars in. The brownouts come from all the a/c units starting.

This is not dependent on politics. I don't care if you talk about "Sleepy Joe" or "Deadbeat Donald", neither one will be a factor by the time this all comes to fruition. This is about "talk", not "Do". Several years ago, 2017, the last year I have good statistics for, Europe had a 3% surplus over their normal electric power needs. The U.S. had a -13% of the power needed. Where is the power going to come from? Coal and gas has been used for years but it's considered dirty. Granted, it does pollute, but there is a cost for everything. Hydro power? You have to have a river for that. The same for tidal power. Geothermal? You have to have a high volcanic source like Yellow Stone. Nuclear? The Hippies will scream to high heaven even though it's fairly clean. The problem with it is the government over the last 50 years has never followed through on storage plants. Solar? It takes a LOT of room and doesn't work well on cloudy days or at all at night.

With current technology, hybrid vehicles are viable but electric isn't. There are numerous Tesla's around here but I rarely see them in cold weather and never in nasty winter weather.
greetings1.jpg

Cold weather reduces range and if you run the heat or air, it reduces it even more. Heat on a gas or hybrid vehicle is waste anyway and the air just uses a little more fuel. All the car companies are talking pure electric to make investors happy, I doubt the time line they say will actually happen. Furd is even building an electric SUV called the Mustang while the regular Mustang is in production. This is what happens when Bankers and Politicians are involved and not engineers.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Give me the TRX over the R1T, even though its faster and electric. Not a fan of the size of the R. Way too small for me!

OP
OP
Shaggy

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
An electric motor has instant torque and its torque is not determined by rpms like a gasoline or diesel engine is. That was the draw up to 100 years ago when steam and electric were more popular. Steam fell out of favor because it was so mechanically intensive. Henry Fords wife had a Baker Electric for years as she preferred it to gasoline. Gasoline didn't start getting popular until Kettering designed the electric starting system in 1914 we still use today. By the mid 1920's, gasoline stations became very ubiquitous. Electric cars lost popularity for the same reason they aren't viable today. Lack of range.

About 3 weeks ago, I watched a special on a CAA rally. (Charge Across America) Several electric vehicles drove across the country with a maximum range of about 300 or so hours. It showed a LOT of issues and didn't touch on one major one. There was one car that ran out of charge and a truck with a HUGE diesel generator has to come and charge it. There were charge points that either wouldn't take payment, didn't fit the charge port or just didn't work. One place had 8 charge points. All were blocked by Teslas using them for free parking. This was supposed to show how good electric cars are but all it did was convince me that maybe hybrids are viable, electric isn't.

When I visit the kid, I drive straight through. Right at 700 miles. Fuel stops run about 20 minutes to fill, use the bathroom, get snacks and such. Maybe one long stop for dinner enroute.

Lastly, and the biggest killer for electric vehicles in my opinion is our power grid. We have good power where I live but Kalifonia has rolling brown outs at times. Texas had people actually die last year from a weak power supply grid. What's going to happen in Kalifonia when every body HAS to have an electric vehicle and get home from work and plug their cars in. The brownouts come from all the a/c units starting.

This is not dependent on politics. I don't care if you talk about "Sleepy Joe" or "Deadbeat Donald", neither one will be a factor by the time this all comes to fruition. This is about "talk", not "Do". Several years ago, 2017, the last year I have good statistics for, Europe had a 3% surplus over their normal electric power needs. The U.S. had a -13% of the power needed. Where is the power going to come from? Coal and gas has been used for years but it's considered dirty. Granted, it does pollute, but there is a cost for everything. Hydro power? You have to have a river for that. The same for tidal power. Geothermal? You have to have a high volcanic source like Yellow Stone. Nuclear? The Hippies will scream to high heaven even though it's fairly clean. The problem with it is the government over the last 50 years has never followed through on storage plants. Solar? It takes a LOT of room and doesn't work well on cloudy days or at all at night.

With current technology, hybrid vehicles are viable but electric isn't. There are numerous Tesla's around here but I rarely see them in cold weather and never in nasty winter weather.
View attachment 2042

Cold weather reduces range and if you run the heat or air, it reduces it even more. Heat on a gas or hybrid vehicle is waste anyway and the air just uses a little more fuel. All the car companies are talking pure electric to make investors happy, I doubt the time line they say will actually happen. Furd is even building an electric SUV called the Mustang while the regular Mustang is in production. This is what happens when Bankers and Politicians are involved and not engineers.
@group, this was an awesome post. Totally agree with the issues with EVs and thebpwoer grid. The push for EVs is strange as all of the sudden it's a thing again. I remember there was a big push to go all electric 6-8 years ago that never came close to panning out.

Today, it seem like companies are trying be second(tesla is first) out the gate with EVs. If there is going to be 1000s more EVs on the road, they need to fix the issues with charging stations as you mentioned to.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Another thing is EV does not care about altitude. I know boosted does less, but EV none. Electrons do not give a crap.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Electric vehicles can be scary fast, but i don’t think any of the people pushing it are really looking at the impact on the environment just mining the materials for the batteries let alone where does all this extra power come from.

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Electric vehicles can be scary fast, but i don’t think any of the people pushing it are really looking at the impact on the environment just mining the materials for the batteries let alone where does all this extra power come from.
100%!!!

grouch

Reaction score

You are absolutely correct there. Take an old, but solid car. If you rebuild it, there will be a little electricity for the power equipment, some fossil fuels for the rubber and fluids, and if you use state of the art paint and other chemicals, a VERY small VOC out put.

Now, make a battery for an electric vehicle. You mine the rare earth minerals with heavy equipment. (They are called RARE earth for a reason) Once they are done blowing soot out the exhaust, you refine them. More pollution. Then the minerals are shipped via diesel powered ship to Asia where the construction begins. More soot from smoke stacks in a very polluted area and lots of power to make the battery.

Now the completed battery goes back on a diesel powered ship for transport to Japan or the U.S. All of this so someone can feel righteous that they are saving the environment.

Total cost for rebuilding in energy, in 2010 when I saw the study, was $6.10. Total energy cost for a battery, not counting the minerals and construction, $214.78. This doesn't count the coal fired power plant to charge the electric car. Yes there are other types of power plants, but coal and natural gas make most of the electricity in the U.S..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twawzysko