Digital Rearview Mirror

quietpeen

Reaction score
Since it seems I like spending money on things I don’t absolutely need :ROFLMAO: i decided to install the digital rear view mirror in my truck. It is a rather simple install (especially since I don’t have the pano sunroof)

Parts needed:
Digital Mirror: 68448641AB
Center high mounted stop lamp with camera - 68551077AB

besides running the farka cable for the camera from the 3rd brake light to the mirror this is practically plug and play. 1 caveat to that is you can plug it all in and you will lose auto dimming mirror. Not much of an issue if your windows are tinted, but that can be fixed with AlfaOBD.

Settings for AlfaOBD:

LIN and Misc-CRVMM Present to NO

CBC Config I/O Usage-RVDM Present to YES

camera turned off as a regular Mirror (note that my back-flip was folded up against the rear window so that is why its all black)

IMG_5534.jpeg

Camera turned on:

IMG_5533.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Also we measured and the bottom of the camera view is right about 6-3/8” above the tailgate. It’s not a big issue because i can still see cars but it’s harder to judge how close they are to you since you can’t see the tailgate.

Last edited:

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So over all, you like it better then the normal rear view?

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
I like that it gives a great wide field of view. it definitely takes getting used to because the way you focus on it is different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
The way i have seen it explained elsewhere is that you can’t just quickly look at it like a regular mirror, you have to actually focus on it. I have experienced it and feel the same way. When I look at this mirror like i did with the non digital one it is blurry - like I’m looking at it cross-eyed.

DavidoRex

Reaction score
Looking good !
I'm interested in upgrading my regular mirror on my new level 1 with sunroof 2023 trx

Can you
Share more info about the installation of the wire to the camera

And also share link for the digital mirror to purchase

Thanks In advance

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Looking good !
I'm interested in upgrading my regular mirror on my new level 1 with sunroof 2023 trx

Can you
Share more info about the installation of the wire to the camera

And also share link for the digital mirror to purchase

Thanks In advance
this is the part number for the mirror. You will have to search around for the best price. I will say the prices must have just jumped up because when I was looking they were not this expensive. Plus I paid nowhere near as much because I got lucky and found one removed from a TRX on Facebook Marketplace.

Mirror: 68448641AB

For the camera wire instillation it was rather easy on my truck since I don't have a sun roof. I was able to run the wire from the 3rd brake light straight through the headliner to the mirror. I just attached the wire to a folding tape measure and fished it to the front. I did have to take the sun visors, A pillar covers, and overhead console off to get the headliner to drop in the front to get to the wire that was fished up to the front.

If you have the sunroof you will have to route it around which will take a little more work.

Last edited:

PAPA'S TRX

Reaction score
I have had my 2022 for just over a year. It came with the digital mirror. In tight spots with low obstacles that are difficult to see,it is very useful. For daily driving i turn it off because it is like staring at a computer screen all day.

NINJA

Reaction score
  • LOVE IT............Nice Job!
  • I purchased my Ram TRX with Equipment Group 1 [No Choice]
  • I would have preferred to have bought it with Equipment Group 2 & the Digital Rear View Mirror.
  • But, got a great price [$28K Savings], and I've been slowing adding some of the features I originally wanted.
  • I'd love to obtain more details, if you have the time. Is there a "Kit Number" that you can share?
  • The Amazon link you referenced appears to be only for the wiring cable (based upon my cursory review)
  • Thanks very much for the post! Appreciated!

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
  • LOVE IT............Nice Job!
  • I purchased my Ram TRX with Equipment Group 1 [No Choice]
  • I would have preferred to have bought it with Equipment Group 2 & the Digital Rear View Mirror.
  • But, got a great price [$28K Savings], and I've been slowing adding some of the features I originally wanted.
  • I'd love to obtain more details, if you have the time. Is there a "Kit Number" that you can share?
  • The Amazon link you referenced appears to be only for the wiring cable (based upon my cursory review)
  • Thanks very much for the post! Appreciated!
as far as I know there is no Kit that you can buy. You just have to source the 3 items. The new mirror, and the new 3rd brake light that has the camera in it, and the farka cable. The link to amazon is for the cable that has universal connectors on each end.

I didn't take any pictures of it, but this is what the 3rd brake light looks like with the camera in it. (note: it is upside down in this picture.) also 68551077AB is the latest part# It replaces 68444540AB & 6855107AA. I was fortunate to find 68551077AA on ebay unused at a savings.

s-l1600.jpg

Detox

Reaction score
Just noticed the "Digital Rearview Mirror with side camera integration features" the side camera integration seems very interesting.

My TRX is already level 2 with the digital rear view mirror but not the side camera.

Has anyone figured out what we need to do to enable the side mirror activation?

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
Just noticed the "Digital Rearview Mirror with side camera integration features" the side camera integration seems very interesting.

My TRX is already level 2 with the digital rear view mirror but not the side camera.

Has anyone figured out what we need to do to enable the side mirror activation?
more info of what you are talking about? I have not heard of this.

Detox

Reaction score
Same here, I just discovered this today, check this YouTube link below....

OP
OP
quietpeen

quietpeen

Reaction score
ok that is the 2500 mirror. I have seen where people have put that mirror on their trx, but I don’t know if that gave them all those options or just the option of the 2nd camera on the back of a trailer or camper.

Detox

Reaction score
ok that is the 2500 mirror. I have seen where people have put that mirror on their trx, but I don’t know if that gave them all those options or just the option of the 2nd camera on the back of a trailer or camper.
Very curious to find out as it would be quite a helpful option. Do you think we can get a picture of the back connectors on the standard TRX and 2500 digital mirrors.

I am up for buying one to check.

Last edited:

Detox

Reaction score
A bit more research, the HD tow mirrors have backwards facing cameras as you can see in the picture below, we dont have such an option on our TRX as far as I am aware.

Also the digital rear view mirror that has this function can be differentiated from the typical TRX DRVM by having a 4th button to the left of the center activation switch/lever.

Still trying to find the correct PN for this mirror.

Attachments

• 2023-Ram-2500-HD-Rebel-Hemi_OEM_2-1-scaled~2.jpg
    2023-Ram-2500-HD-Rebel-Hemi_OEM_2-1-scaled~2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 2023-Ram-2500-HD-Rebel_BS_15-scaled~2.jpg
    2023-Ram-2500-HD-Rebel_BS_15-scaled~2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member