Taxes.

grouch

Reaction score
I finally got my taxes done. Between retiring, working part of last year, drawing out of my 401K for medical expenses, this was the most complex tax return I've ever done. I'm not overjoyed to be paying taxes, but like Socrates said, "if you want to live in a society, you have to live by the laws of the society". I'm not happy but I'll pay them.

What frosts my buns is paying taxes on the same money twice. This has gone on for decades but nobody else ever seems to notice. Let's say I have the withholding for 2020. When I file in 2021, I get $1000 refund of money I withheld but didn't need to give Uncle. Ii was taxed, but left over so I got it back. For 2022, it is considered income. I have to pay taxes on the same dollar I paid taxes on the previous year.

This is not the Democrats. This is not the Republicans. It's both of them, along with Independents.

I'll get off my soap box now. :mad:

tinman454

We want freedom
Reaction score
Lol I love the fact you guys think your over taxed. You have no idea how bad it can get. Just ask any Canadian. It sucks no matter what you do. Problem is no one has a say anymore and we certainly didn’t ask for the system we have. Why is it that government can spend and run crazy debt but you and me need to live with in our means? Why can’t we get a government that can only spend the amount they bring in and not allowed to borrow more money? System would change over night. But that would be way to easy to fix things.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Lol I love the fact you guys think your over taxed. You have no idea how bad it can get. Just ask any Canadian. It sucks no matter what you do. Problem is no one has a say anymore and we certainly didn’t ask for the system we have. Why is it that government can spend and run crazy debt but you and me need to live with in our means? Why can’t we get a government that can only spend the amount they bring in and not allowed to borrow more money? System would change over night. But that would be way to easy to fix things.

Actually, I have enough friends over seas who live in places like England and Australia that you may think YOU pay high taxes, you don't really. I get plenty for my taxes, National Defense, good roads, public services and so on. I do resent the really rich who skate on taxes altogether through dodges, some not really legal.

The politicians are usually elected by the rich who donate money for election purposes. Usually the amount and donors are hidden. Of course the politicians aren't going to push for openness as it will cut down on the funds they get for election.

Bwl

Reaction score
Actually, I have enough friends over seas who live in places like England and Australia that you may think YOU pay high taxes, you don't really. I get plenty for my taxes, National Defense, good roads, public services and so on. I do resent the really rich who skate on taxes altogether through dodges, some not really legal.

The politicians are usually elected by the rich who donate money for election purposes. Usually the amount and donors are hidden. Of course the politicians aren't going to push for openness as it will cut down on the funds they get for election.
I don't know how it can get much higher. High earners. Which you have to be to afford our outrageously priced housing get into a 53% income tax in my province. Just under 58% in Quebec. Our property tax is generally pretty high. Carbon tax on all energy products.sales taxes including on new homes and some food, land transfer taxes, fuel tax is half or better the price of fuel not including royalties on anything domestically produced and the same goes for alcohol and cigs. Buy a fancy car and you can pay up to 25% tax on it and could go up another 10-20% based on the new budget.The list goes on. Really not hard to fork over 60% or better to the government every year in tax. Plus we're adding a 1-4k bonus tax on pickups now depending on the weight class and taxes you don't see built into prices, environmental levies, recycling fees etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
Canada, at least while Her Majesty the Queen still lives, is part of the United Kingdom. I'm sure there are other taxes you don't know about that you are paying. In the U.S., the speed limit is what is on the sign. In Britain, I don't know about Canada, the police can drop the speed limit without warning and ticket you. In the U.S., that is called a "Scorching Trap" and is illegal. The fines can be pretty hefty. Then there is the "Value Added Tax". This is basically a tax on a tax you paid.

I redid my Indiana return as there were issues with it. It dropped my tax bill by about $900. I still paid a fairly large chunk of change, but it was better. I went to pay online and the State doesn't make THAT easy either. I'm not an accountant. I'm not trained in tax preparation.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
Taxes in Canada are out of this world.. I lose 35% to tax on my wage not including ccp and other deductions. Then you take the money have left over and anything you do is taxed.. so in the end the dollar you have is really only about 40cents. I want to retire and live off my pension ... will have to move into poverty to do so.. after looking at USA taxes maybe we should move there but if we do I'd loose my benefits.. no win situation. To put this in perspective we are a well off middle class family and with the wage we have and if we were living in the south I wouldn't be typing this but because of the cost of living in the north and the fact that we get taxed like everyone else just isn't fare. So until I can't work anymore I will have some sorta part time job so we can do retirement things. Better then sitting around the house waiting to die I guess.

quietpeen

Reaction score
I love the fact that my taxes are very easy every year, just don’t like how much the taxes really are. Double taxation is one of the biggest things next to how much the federal government cheats us out of.

OP
OP
G

grouch

Reaction score
I love the fact that my taxes are very easy every year, just don’t like how much the taxes really are. Double taxation is one of the biggest things next to how much the federal government cheats us out of.

This year was a nightmare. I made more money last year than I ever have. I also paid more taxes than I ever have. Uncle went easy. Indiana rejected my return three times. When it finally went through, my taxes were still high, but were about 50% lower than the firs time I sent my return in.

Now that I'm retired and have time to keep track, I'm going to keep a record of every penny I pay in sales taxes. The same with road and excise taxes on my cars.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron