Why is SiriusXM So Shady?

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Yup, like everything else, you gotta be willing to walk if you don't like the deal! The other thing to do is never pay with your credit card, tell them to bill you, then write them a check. Then when it's expired again, they can't automatically charge your credit card... And the Haggling game restarts again...

you'd also be wise to set a reminder when it's about to expire about a week before so you can get your ducks ready... Of course just my humble opinion.... Whatever that is lol🇺🇲
I did that for years, but SiriusXM has gotten where you almost have to give them a credit card, even when negotiating the best deals. To fix this, I use fake credit cards from Privacy.com. I just set one up specifically for SiriusXM, then I give them that card number, allow them to charge it one time for the amount negotiated, then I set the limit on the card to zero. And the next time I negotiate a price with SiriusXM, I set that card to the new amount, allow them to charge it, then set it back to zero again. I do this with several subscriptions I have to avoid being charged at full price for the following year, just as SiriusXM always tries to do. Here's a screen shot:

PrivacyCards1.jpg

Last edited:

Plankton

Reaction score
Mine is still tied to the previous owner, which is a corporation. They've been paying the monthly bill for almost 2 years now. I need to get that sorted out.

quietpeen

Reaction score
Mine is still tied to the previous owner, which is a corporation. They've been paying the monthly bill for almost 2 years now. I need to get that sorted out.
wait......you want to make the previous owners company that has been giving you free sirius for 2 years stop?

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Reaction score

Yep. I've gotten bills before for vehicles I used to own too. I had to let SiriusXM know I won't be funding entertainment for the new owners. 😆

PS: When we bought the Laramie, either the dealership or Ram automatically transferred my SiriusXM account from our trade-in (2019 Charger Scat Pack) to the Laramie. I actually got a refund check for the unused part on the Scat Pack.

grouch

Reaction score

They may try to make you pay for the service you got. I don't think they can, but they may try. Personally, if they say anything, I would just say I hadn't been using it. I wasn't even aware it worked.

Plankton

Reaction score
I don't want any BS happening down the road, and I don't mind paying the charges racked up in these last two years. It's just the right thing to do.

MO VietVet

Reaction score
I am with @quietpeen on this one. I have never ever paid for SXM or any of the others and would never renew if did get a free year on a new vehicle. I get all I want from AM, FM and CD's.

These bait and switch type stories here sound like when a person has to renegotiate after 1-2-3 years with the cable and satellite companies. What really pisses me off is that Comcast will charge more for just cable and internet and less if you include a hard line home phone. I have Comcast but because the office at my self storage facility robs the signal to run the business computer with, the owner gives me $80 a month toward the $180 bill.

quietpeen

Reaction score
I am with @quietpeen on this one. I have never ever paid for SXM or any of the others and would never renew if did get a free year on a new vehicle. I get all I want from AM, FM and CD's.

These bait and switch type stories here sound like when a person has to renegotiate after 1-2-3 years with the cable and satellite companies. What really pisses me off is that Comcast will charge more for just cable and internet and less if you include a hard line home phone. I have Comcast but because the office at my self storage facility robs the signal to run the business computer with, the owner gives me $80 a month toward the $180 bill.
I hear ya, i originally switched to comcast for about 120 a month and it was their triple play……after the promotional one year it jumped up….then it continually increased to 240 and i finally made a change. Now i pay 115 just for internet which is still stupid expensive

MO VietVet

Reaction score
My upcoming move to Mo. means will likely be switching to another source for home entertainment. Gonna get with my cousin's son and see what is available in Warrensburg, Mo.

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
For that stuff, I pay $71.94 a month for AT&T Uverse internet, $72.66 for YouTube TV and $5.45 per month for Paramount Plus. Home phone is free (perk of being a local celebrity). That's taxes and all. So I'm paying $150.05 a month total for the streaming stuff I used to pay cable for. I am considering dropping the YouTube TV since we only watch 4 or 5 channels on it, and because the price continues to rise. :cautious:

OP
OP
HandyCruiser

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Just made my annual call to SiriusXM to haggle over the price. I got an email from Privacy.com showing they declined a $644 change from SiriusXM. After using it last year, I had set the fake credit card on Privacy.com to $1. So when SiriusXM tried to charge me at full price, it wouldn't go through. After getting the email about the attempted $644 charge, I then called SiriusXM and the haggling began. But this time, the nice Indian lady said they had a "special deal" for long-time customers like me so I didn't have to call every year and threaten to cancel my service. The deal is $75 per car per year, with no full retail billing for the next year. With taxes and fees, that came to $95.96 per car for 2023. I could have haggled more, but I believe about $100 per years is what the service is actually worth. So I took the deal. Total cost for three vehicles was $287.88 for a year of SiriusXM. That's a little less than last year. Once the fake credit card was changed, I reset it to $1 again. Next year, I'll still let the first attempt to charge it fail. That way, I can make sure they don't jack the price back up even though they say they won't. :rolleyes:

quietpeen

Reaction score
a $600 charge for satellite radio is just nuts. Sad thing is there are people out there that pay the crazy high prices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swerve19