OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know in England gasoline (or petrol as the throwbacks call it) is often nearly the equivalent of $7 or $8 a gallon, equivalent in Liters. (They even misspell that as Litres.)
Lol. Is the US the only ones that use gallons, MPH and Fahrenheit???

grouch

Reaction score

Well, there are U.S. Gallons and Imperial Gallons. England does use both miles and kilometers. The speed limit, at least until recently, was usually in MPH. They also use up a lot of letters so we have a shortage. Humor is spelled Humour there. They also talk funny.

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, there are U.S. Gallons and Imperial Gallons. England does use both miles and kilometers. The speed limit, at least until recently, was usually in MPH. They also use up a lot of letters so we have a shortage. Humor is spelled Humour there. They also talk funny.
😂. They most likely say we talk funny too!

grouch

Reaction score
😂. They most likely say we talk funny too!

The BBC has a pronunciation guide which details HOW certain words are supposed to be pronounced. They go to School (pronounced Skool) to learn to say Schedule (pronounced Shedjule) because that's what someone decided at their corporate offices.

If you want to hear a purer form of British English as it was spoken 200-250 years ago, there are a few places in England or you can go to Appalachia. The Appalachian dialect spoken in the Smokey mountain area and along the Appalachian trail is frozen in time.

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
In the 70's I remember us switching from imperial to metric, I took 5 years of drafting and two of those years were in imperial the rest in metric. At work we still use imperial but a foot is divided into 10ths for surveying and engineering. I not old enough to remember Fahrenheit I think mainly because temperature was not on the mind of a young teenager. But as far as is the US the only one .. no I think there is a country in Africa that still uses imperial

BlackGold6.4

Reaction score
I know in England gasoline (or petrol as the throwbacks call it) is often nearly the equivalent of $7 or $8 a gallon, equivalent in Liters. (They even misspell that as Litres.)
I know in Canada we spell some words in UK and some in US .. Colour is an example. If I was was to right a letter to my family in New Zealand and used liters he would correct me to litres.. so most of the common wealth is like that due to the influence from UK

grouch

Reaction score
In the 70's I remember us switching from imperial to metric, I took 5 years of drafting and two of those years were in imperial the rest in metric. At work we still use imperial but a foot is divided into 10ths for surveying and engineering. I not old enough to remember Fahrenheit I think mainly because temperature was not on the mind of a young teenager. But as far as is the US the only one .. no I think there is a country in Africa that still uses imperial

The United States, Liberia and Myanmar (Burma) use the same system. Metric is easier to use, less hold over conversions from earlier systems, but Americans can be slightly stubborn. Metric was just a term when I was in school. I deal with it as I work on a lot of cars. What frosts my buns is cars and trucks from the late 1980's through the 90's that use both systems. Mechanical bolts are S.A.E. and body hardware is metric. I just want to scream "Make up your mind" at times.

I can see using up stock on hand, but that doesn't take THAT long. 1970 was the last year Chrysler used LH lug studs. A few early '71 models had them as stock was used up, but they didn't keep ordering them.

quietpeen

Reaction score
The United States, Liberia and Myanmar (Burma) use the same system. Metric is easier to use, less hold over conversions from earlier systems, but Americans can be slightly stubborn. Metric was just a term when I was in school. I deal with it as I work on a lot of cars. What frosts my buns is cars and trucks from the late 1980's through the 90's that use both systems. Mechanical bolts are S.A.E. and body hardware is metric. I just want to scream "Make up your mind" at times.

I can see using up stock on hand, but that doesn't take THAT long. 1970 was the last year Chrysler used LH lug studs. A few early '71 models had them as stock was used up, but they didn't keep ordering them.
if there wasn't metric sizes you couldn't keep loosing the 10mm socket.

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Coming from a manufacturing/hardware engineer that works in aerospace there are two types of people in this world.... Those that use the metric system and those that put man on the moon.

Merica!

Honestly though, metric machine tooling make so much more sense. Our dumb letter and number drills, and insane amounts of fractional drills get really annoying when I have to look up sizes.

grouch

Reaction score
if there wasn't metric sizes you couldn't keep loosing the 10mm socket.

I had a 2002 GL1800 Goldwing before I went blind. When I got it home, I'd heard the air filter was a bit difficult to replace. I figured to replace it right away so I could keep riding.

You start at the top of the bike and start disassembling it. I could so it now in about an hour but that first filter took 3 1/2. I found 4 10 mm sockets though.

grouch

Reaction score
Coming from a manufacturing/hardware engineer that works in aerospace there are two types of people in this world.... Those that use the metric system and those that put man on the moon.

Merica!

Honestly though, metric machine tooling make so much more sense. Our dumb letter and number drills, and insane amounts of fractional drills get really annoying when I have to look up sizes.

It could be worse. There was a system used in Britain before WW2 on cars and the tools were hard to identify. It was the Wentworth system. H-D likes to use Torx hardware so you get to buy new tools that have other uses (GM likes to use Torx hardware, along with Furd and Chrysler) so I keep some around. When I had my eyes replaced, I got a nice Harley in trade but it needed a lot of suspension work. I rode it until I started having mobility issues and had to quit riding altogether.

quietpeen

Reaction score
I had a 2002 GL1800 Goldwing before I went blind. When I got it home, I'd heard the air filter was a bit difficult to replace. I figured to replace it right away so I could keep riding.

You start at the top of the bike and start disassembling it. I could so it now in about an hour but that first filter took 3 1/2. I found 4 10 mm sockets though.
That's crazy

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It could be worse. There was a system used in Britain before WW2 on cars and the tools were hard to identify. It was the Wentworth system. H-D likes to use Torx hardware so you get to buy new tools that have other uses (GM likes to use Torx hardware, along with Furd and Chrysler) so I keep some around. When I had my eyes replaced, I got a nice Harley in trade but it needed a lot of suspension work. I rode it until I started having mobility issues and had to quit riding altogether.
Wentworth still exists today believe it or not. There are literally hundreds of specifications for threads or tapers and all sorts of stuff now. If you ever get bored and want to look at some thread charts check out this site, one of my favorites for identifying weird stuff I see from time to time.

Bwl

Reaction score
The BBC has a pronunciation guide which details HOW certain words are supposed to be pronounced. They go to School (pronounced Skool) to learn to say Schedule (pronounced Shedjule) because that's what someone decided at their corporate offices.

If you want to hear a purer form of British English as it was spoken 200-250 years ago, there are a few places in England or you can go to Appalachia. The Appalachian dialect spoken in the Smokey mountain area and along the Appalachian trail is frozen in time.
Go to Scotland and if you can understand English there then you can understand it anywhere.

grouch

Reaction score
Go to Scotland and if you can understand English there then you can understand it anywhere.

Oops, I meant to write New England. As for the Scots and Irish, I have a lot of cousins there. Sometimes I'll even drop into a Scots accent to mess with people. I even have a car with Scottish brakes. It'll stop on a dime, then pick it up.

With a Grandfather names Phineas, what do you expect?

Reactions: Bwl

tinman454

We want freedom
Reaction score
well I did my first fill up from e the other day and yep it’s over 200 to fill up now. Maybe

it’s time to think about lowering the taxes on my gas the government got 23.89 for this tank. Oh wait I need to save the earth so I guess another 9 cents a litre on April 1st is ok 🤦‍♂️ Good thing I held off on getting my private jet as i need to save a few bucks we’re I can eh?
8475FFAD-C1F2-42AD-B0FF-2CA1661D1D59.jpeg

G-Ride990

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
well I did my first fill up from e the other day and yep it’s over 200 to fill up now. Maybe

it’s time to think about lowering the taxes on my gas the government got 23.89 for this tank. Oh wait I need to save the earth so I guess another 9 cents a litre on April 1st is ok 🤦‍♂️ Good thing I held off on getting my private jet as i need to save a few bucks we’re I can eh? View attachment 2671
Holy cow man! That sucks!

OnTheReel

Reaction score

it’s time to think about lowering the taxes on my gas the government got 23.89 for this tank. Oh wait I need to save the earth so I guess another 9 cents a litre on April 1st is ok 🤦‍♂️ Good thing I held off on getting my private jet as i need to save a few bucks we’re I can eh? View attachment 2671
Did your lottery tix hit at least?

OP
OP
Griffin

Griffin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score

We should compare our jets that we were gonna get before the fuel prices changed our minds 😜

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Outofmyleague